LA County to shut down all dining Wednesday amid COVID-19 surge
LOS ANGELES (KABC)Los Angeles County is shutting down all dining at restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars for at least three weeks starting Wednesday amid a...
- Rahul Chugh
- Nov 23, 2020
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is shutting down all dining at restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars for at least three weeks starting Wednesday amid a surge in coronavirus cases, health officials announced Sunday.
The establishments will only be able to offer takeout, drive-thru and delivery services, and the restrictions will take effect Wednesday at 10 p.m.
"To reduce the possibility for crowding and the potential for exposures in settings where people are not wearing their face coverings, restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars will only be able to offer take-out, drive thru, and delivery services," the county's Department of Public Health said in a news release. "Wineries and breweries may continue their retail operations adhering to current protocols. In person dining will not be allowed, at minimum, for the next 3 weeks."
Officials had warned of more restrictions earlier in the week if the county's five-day average of new cases was above 4,000. Sunday's five-day average was 4,097 cases.
Outdoor dining has helped restaurants stay in business during the pandemic, and cities have tried to help by shutting down traffic so businesses would be able to set up tables outside.
Now businesses that have been losing money for months and struggling to keep their doors open may not survive.
"It's really just devastating. Our industry has been so deeply affected by the pandemic," said Karen Ross, owner of the Tallyrand restaurant in Burbank. "Our crew as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who are in the restaurant industry are just reeling from the news that we're going to be shutdown again."
A curfew for businesses in the county had been in effect since Friday night. Restaurants, breweries, wineries as well as other non-essential establishments were ordered to close between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Most of California, including Los Angeles County, has been under a curfew since Saturday night at 10 p.m.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.
About The Author - Aggregator